The city’s governing body on Tuesday evening settled 10 workers compensation claims costing taxpayers $325,067.
City public workers employee Javier Torres received the largest payout of $84,089. A sweeper operator, Torres was removing a sweeper hose from a truck on February 26th, 2011 near Market Street, where he injured his left shoulder and neck.
Police officer Yuri Polanco, who suffered injuries to his back, left leg, and left hand on April 1st, 2009 at the intersection of Totowa and Sherwood Avenues after his motorcycle was struck by a vehicle, received the second largest payment of $92,929.
The third largest amount of $47,646 went to Peter Federico, police officer, who was chasing a suspect on October 19th, 2012 near East 22nd Street and 12th Avenue, when he sustained a fall, resulting in injuries to his neck and left shoulder, according to city records.
Other settlements include:
- $27,270 to public works employee Angel Torres who sustained injuries to his back when he slipped off a loader and fell on May 19th, 2011 in the city’s public works yard.
- $23,964 to city fire fighter James Reyes, who suffered injuries to his left shoulder, neck, back, lumber region, and upper back on August 13th, 2012, when a piece of ceiling collapsed on him as he was fighting a fire.
- $21,720 to a city youth services bureau worker Jamal Crawford who injured his right wrist, right knee, back, head, and neck when he was involved in a vehicle accident on Route 20 South on December 20th, 2012.
- $17,407 to city police officer Kevin Collins, who injured his right arm and elbow on November 14th, 2011 on 12th Avenue while attempting to climb a wall and slipping.
- $12,542 to city fire fighter Joseph Murray, who suffered pulmonary and loss of hearing while serving as deputy fire chief from 1981 to July 2010, resulting in “occupational loss.”
- $5,000 to city police officer Christopher Irizarry who sustained injuries following a trip and fall incident due to uneven pavement on East 38th Street when he responded to a fight in progress on July 5th, 2010.
- $2,500 to city police officer Kevin Kaufman who was struck by a passing vehicle’s side mirror on Crooks Avenue injuring him in the back and right buttocks on October 19th 2013.
Council members approved the settlements during a special meeting of the council on Tuesday evening without any public discussions.