The city teenager shown in a viral video knocking out an unsuspecting man as he is trying to cross the street pleaded guilty to aggravated assault on Wednesday afternoon, according to the Passaic County Prosecutor’s Office.
Kristian Gonzalez, 18-year-old, pleaded guilty to second-degree aggravated assault for his role in the assault of 37-year-old city man Cesar Najara on December 7th, 2015 at Rosa Parks Boulevard and Van Houten Street. Authorities described Gonzalez’s action captured in a video that went viral as a “random act of violence.”
The viral video forced law enforcement officials to identify the assailant.
The knockout punch briefly rendered Najara unconscious, and left him with a half-inch laceration to his lip, authorities said. He was taken to a local hospital by an ambulance and treated and released the same day.
Gonzalez admitted in court he did not previously know the victim. He said his intent was to cause bodily injury to him.
Authorities said Gonzalez agreed to be charged as an adult. The case was waived from family court to criminal court as part of a plea deal. At the time of the attack on the victim, Gonzalez was underage.
Gonzalez faces a three-year prison sentence under the negotiated plea agreement, authorities said. After he serves out his sentence, he will be under parole supervision for a three-year period, authorities said.
Authorities said the 18-year-old is being held at the Essex County Juvenile Detention Center. His sentencing is scheduled for September 30, 2016.