The city’s school district is shuffling principals at eight schools ahead of the 2019-20 academic year.
Superintendent Eileen Shafer selected Marc Medley, who served as principal of Frank Napier Academy in the past school year, to lead the reforming Young Men’s Leadership Academy. Vernon Maynor, who led the school since 2015, was fired for poor performance in May.
Shafer also transferred former Silk City Academy principal Stanley Sumter to led the combined Great Falls and Silk City Academy.
Other changes approved by the school board were:
- Medley’s replacement at School 4 is former School 18 vice principal Derwin Smith.
- Jose Correa, who worked as director of instructional technology and media specialists, will serve as principal of School 3.
- Nancy Tavarez-Correa, who served in interim capacity at School 16, has been appointed as the school’s principal.
- Antoinette Young was interim principal of School 25. She will now serve as its principal.
- Nahed Badawy, who served as vice principal of Hani Awadallah School, has been appointed principal at the resignation of principal Christine Johnson.
- Steven Rodriguez had led School 3. He will serve as principal of the New Roberto Clemente Middle School due to the resignation of principal Hector Montes.
“We are very fortunate to have a pool of dynamic educational leaders in the Paterson Public Schools,” said superintendent Eileen Shafer in announcing the changes on Friday morning. “I am confident that these principals will join the rest of their colleagues in serving Paterson students and families well in the upcoming school year, and in fulfilling the mission and vision of the district’s new strategic plan.”