City detectives identified and arrested a 16-year-old teenager charging him with attempted murder and weapons possession over last week’s shooting on North Main and East Main Streets that left an 18-year-old wounded in the leg, said police director Jerry Speziale on Wednesday night.
The teenager is also charged with possession of weapon for an unlawful purpose, said the director. Speziale said the boy is being detained at the Essex County Detention Center pending an initial court hearing.
He is being accused of shooting an 18-year-old city man on North Main and East Main Streets, said Speziale. The teenager shot the victim in the leg on Monday, April 13th, 2015 at about 9:30 p.m., said police.
Ceasefire Unit detective Rolando Polio and prosecutor’s detective Michael Boone investigated the incident identifying the teenager as the alleged shooter in the incident.
“Anyone that continues on the path to use a firearm in our city will face relentless follow up by the Ceasefire Unit and detective bureau, and [they] will be brought to justice,” said Speziale. He lauded the city’s police for hard work and persistent effort in quickly solving shooting incidents.