Two arrested and loaded weapons recovered after car chase through Northside neighborhood | Paterson Times

Two arrested and loaded weapons recovered after car chase through Northside neighborhood


Responding to reports of shots fired on North Main and Jefferson Streets early Sunday morning, city police officers chased a silver minivan that was fleeing the area which resulted in the arrest of two individuals and the recovery of two loaded firearms, said police director Jerry Speziale.

Shamaad Elerby, 23, and Glenmor Kersey, 26, were arrested on weapons charges, said the director. Elerby was additionally charged with eluding; Kersey was also charged with burglary for breaking into a residence during police pursuit.

Detectives who responded to the area at about 3:05 a.m. observed the minivan on North 1st Street fleeing with great speed. Detectives Mario Formentin and Mohan Singh broadcasted a description of the vehicle as they followed behind it on through North 4th Street, where the vehicle slowed and two handguns were dropped on the road.

The van’s driver Kersey halted the vehicle, got out, and began to flee on foot, while Elerby took the wheel.

Detectives Formentin and Singh gave chase to Kersey. Kersey, while fleeing the area, went towards Cliff Street, forcibly entered a home, in hopes of eluding police.

Meanwhile, Ceasefire Unit detectives caught up with the vehicle and Elerby on Presidential Boulevard near Temple Street. Elerby was arrested and charged. After the two suspects were securely in police custody, detectives returned to North 4th Street.

A loaded Ruger 9 mm semi-automatic handgun and a loaded Smith & Wesson .38 caliber revolver was recovered from the roadway.

“The detectives involved remained calm and focused with all that was unfolding, ultimately apprehending the violent criminals responsible for these acts,” said Speziale. “It’s our hope that these individuals will face stern justice and not be allowed the opportunity to repeat this cycle of violence.”