A family was displaced due to a single-alarm fire at their Union Avenue home on Friday morning. Two firefighters suffered minor injuries while battling the blaze in the frigid cold at 281 Union Avenue, said deputy fire chief Michael Fleming.
Fleming said fire at the two-family building was reported at about 7:55 a.m. He said the blaze was at the rear of first floor inside the exterior wall. The blaze was under control within 45 minutes, said the deputy fire chief.
Both firefighters were treated at the scene. One suffered a slip and fall at the scene from ice on the ground. One of them was taken to a hospital for an evaluation and later released.
The building’s second floor remains habitable; however, electricity to the building has been shut off. The family on the second floor may avoid displacement if the electricity is restored to the building, according to Fleming.
Email: [email protected]