Municipal officials awarded $490,000 worth of legal contracts to 16 law firms last week to handle lawsuits and other legal matters.
Members of the City Council approved the contracts on Tuesday night. Some of the firms are tied to influential political leaders in the state.
New Jersey Assembly speaker Craig Coughlin is a partner in the Rainone Coughlin Minchello law firm; Kevin O’ Toole, a former state senator, who is chairman of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, is a partner at the O’Toole Scrivo Fernandez Weiner Van Lieu firm.
Mayor Andre Sayegh expanded the list of attorneys after coming into office last July. His list included several new law firms. Among them the firm of Genova, Burns & Vernoia, which sent out a threatening letter on Sayegh’s behalf to supporters of other candidates in the mayoral race last year.
This year Sayegh’s administration added the law firms of Leitner Tort, DeFazio & Brause; and Bevan, Mosca & Giuditta.
Below are the firms receiving work from the city:
- $60,000 Archer & Greiner of Haddonfield for bond counsel
- $30,000 O’Toole Scrivo Fernandez Weiner Van Lieu of Cedar Grove for labor matters
- $30,000 Adams, Gutierrez & Lattiboudere of Newark for labor matters
- $15,000 Florio Kenny Raval of Lyndhurst for tax appeals
- $50,000 Lite DePalma Greenberg of Newark for litigation
- $50,000 Rainone Coughlin Minchello of Iselin for litigation
- $50,000 Florio Perrucci Steinhardt & Cappelli of Rochelle Park for litigation
- $50,000 Weiner Law Group of Parsippany for litigation
- $40,000 Buglione, Hutton & DeYoe of Wayne for workers compensation
- $15,000 Leitner Tort, DeFazio & Brause of Edison for workers compensation
- $15,000 Sciro & Marotta of Paterson for special conflict counsel
- $15,000 Pennington Law Group of South Orange for special conflict counsel
- $25,000 Genova Burns of Newark for special conflict counsel
- $15,000 Bevan, Mosca & Giuditta of Basking Ridge for special conflict counsel
- $10,000 Goldenberg, Mackler Sayegh & Mintz of Northfield for tax matters
- $10,000 Florio Kenny Raval of Lyndhurst for special counsel for tax matters
- $10,000 Michael Armstrong and Associates of Willingboro for redevelopment counsel.
The contracts run from Oct. 1, 2019 through Sept. 30, 2020.
Email: [email protected]