Suffern man dies after ingesting fentanyl-laced substance sold by Paterson dealer | Paterson Times

Suffern man dies after ingesting fentanyl-laced substance sold by Paterson dealer


A New York State man has died after ingesting fentanyl-laced substance that was sold by a New Jersey drug dealer, according to the Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office.

Tristan Colquhoun, 30-year-old, of Paterson, has been charged with multiple offenses, including possessing a firearm during an attempt to commit a crime, unlawful firearm possession as a convicted felon, intent to distribute fentanyl, possessing stolen property, distributing fentanyl, intending to distribute Alprazolam, possessing a controlled substance, and possessing a large capacity magazine.

Authorities stated that Colquhoun sold a fentanyl-laced substance, and 39-year-old Matthew Andreas from Suffern, who purchased it, died on February 16. Suffern police responded to a 911 call about an unresponsive man in a bedroom at around 3:37 p.m. on that day. Despite efforts to revive him, including administering Naloxone, Andreas was pronounced dead.

Suffern police suspected the fentanyl came from Bergen County and notified the Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office. A months-long investigation revealed Colquhoun sold drugs to Andreas in Bergen County that included a fentanyl-laced substance.

Colquhoun was arrested in his residence in Paterson on Friday by the Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office Narcotic Task Force and Suffern Police Department. During the search warrant execution, detectives found suspected fentanyl and other narcotics, along with two handguns, one of which was stolen.

“While we work tirelessly to hold accountable those who peddle in such dangerous substances, it is imperative that we all recognize the inherent dangers of narcotic use given how fentanyl-laced substances are pervasive in the world of street drugs,” said Bergen County prosecutor Mark Musella. “We are seeing multiple deaths even from small doses of powders and pills bought and sold on the streets.

Colquhoun is being held at Bergen County Jail awaiting his initial court appearance in Hackensack.