An over one-hundred-year old church and an architecturally riveting building where a famous club founded by America’s 24th vice president held its meetings are two sites soon to be added to the city’s register of historic landmarks.
The Hamilton Club, founded by Garret Hobart, vice-president of the United States from 1897-1899, has been approved to be listed in the city’s historic landmarks register by the Historic Preservation Commission.
Hobart and a group of prominent Patersonians touched on the lack of club facilities in the city during a discussion in the vice president’s home in the summer of 1890 leading to the formation of the club.
Hobart and 15 others formed the club whose meeting place became 32 Church Street after a neo-Italian renaissance style building was erected at the site by the club in 1897. Just five-year later, in 1902, the Great Paterson Fire passed through the building leaving nothing behind but burnt walls.
A year later, in 1903, members of the club voted to rebuild the structure, to bring back the building as it was prior to the fire. The building, which is currently owned by the Passaic County Community College, was faithfully rebuilt in its original design.
Besides the club, another building is set to receive local historic designation: the Christ Church United Methodist. The church, located on 644 East 27th Street, has had a congregation since 1892, according to records.
The church is currently owned by one James Richardson, according to city documents.
Both the club and the church have received approval to be on the local landmarks list from the preservation commission earlier in the year.
Council members gave their precursive approval during a meeting on Tuesday night.
The council is set to approve both historic landmark designations before the end of the month.