After becoming the city council president on July 1st, 2015, William McKoy, 3rd Ward councilman, this week appointed his colleagues to various council committees.
McKoy assigned Maritza Davila, councilwoman at-large, to three committees. She was appointed chairperson of two key committees: the economic development and public works committees.
Davila is also the sole member of planning board committee.
Kenneth Morris, councilman at-large, was appointed to three committees. Morris retained his chairmanship of the important finance and community development committees. Morris will also serve as chairman of the street naming committee.
Morris and Davila, both allies of McKoy, received the most committee assignments.
Other committee appointments are as follows:
• Community Development: chairperson Morris, vice-chairperson Ruby Cotton
• Economic Development: chairperson Davila, vice-chairperson Mohammed Akhtaruzzaman
• Human Services: chairperson Andre Sayegh, vice-chairperson James Staton
• Education Committee: chairperson Julio Tavarez, vice-chairperson Alex Mendez
• Youth Services: chairperson Staton, vice-chairperson Sayegh
• Planning board: Davila (sole member in the committee)
• Public Safety: chairperson Akhtaruzzaman, vice- chairperson Cotton
• Finance: chairperson Morris, vice-chairperson Staton
• Statutory Agencies: chairperson McKoy, vice-chairperson Tavarez
• Public Works: chairperson Davila, vice-chairperson Cotton
• Paterson Restoration Corporation: McKoy (sole member)
• Street Naming Committee: chairperson Morris, vice-chairperson Akhtaruzzaman.
Eight council members supported McKoy’s bid for the presidency earlier in the month with the exception of Tavarez.
The council has 12 committees.
Council members who received no chairmanships were Cotton, who attempted to run against McKoy, and Mendez.