The three available at-large council seats attracted 15 candidates on Monday afternoon. Of the three at-large seats only one is being defended.
Incumbent councilwoman Maritza Davila is running for re-election while her colleagues Alex Mendez and Kenneth Morris have opted not to defend their seats.
Mendez is running for mayor while Morris decided against seeking re-election.
Other 14 candidates running for at-large seats are:
- Former school board member Lilisa Mimms
- Former councilman Mohammed Akhtaruzzaman
- School board member Flavio Rivera
- Former councilman Kenneth McDaniel
- Housing authority board member Bernard Jones
- Angela Muhammad
- Social worker Fatima Bell
- Public works supervisor Juan “Mitch” Santiago
- Former three-term councilman Aslon Goow, Sr.
- Pastor Douglas Maven
- Community activist Casey Melvin
- Library board trustee Nelly Celi
- School teacher Zellie Thomas
- Davon Roberts.
The city clerk’s office has received the needed 815 petitions from Melvin, Celi, Thomas, and Roberts, but did not certify them on Monday afternoon. All four are expected to be certified.
The election is scheduled for May 8, 2018.